Christmas is nearly upon us, and New Year’s Day is just around the corner. When the winter doldrums start to set in, those of us who are mobility limited can often appreciate the little things that can make the season easier: plugging in a natural-light lamp to ward off seasonal affective disorder, putting on some music that reminds us of happy days, and reading words of support from those who have gone before.
While we can’t share light therapy online and don’t have access to your record collection, here’s a series of inspirational quotes from others who may have some idea of what you might be going through this season. Whether you choose to share these quotes with family at reunions or use them for personal reflection, we hope you’ll enjoy our selection.
- “The measure of a man, or woman, is not so much what they have accomplished, though that has weight. It often is much more though what that man or woman has overcome to accomplish what they have.” – Leif Gregersen
- “Concentrate on things your disability doesn’t prevent you doing well, and don’t regret the things it interferes with. Don’t be disabled in spirit as well as physically.” – Stephen Hawking
- “People presume my disability has to do with being an amputee, but that’s not the case; our insecurities are our disabilities, and I struggle with those as does everyone.” – Aimee Mullins
- “Your success and happiness lies in you. Resolve to keep happy, and your joy and you shall form an invincible host against difficulties.” – Helen Keller
- “A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles.” – Christopher Reeves
- “Courage doesn’t mean you don’t get afraid. Courage means you don’t let fear stop you.” – Bethany Hamilton
- “However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.” – Stephen Hawking
- “Life is all about balance. Since I have only one leg, I understand that well.” – Sandy Fussell
- “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” – Helen Keller
- “Just because a man lacks the use of his eyes doesn’t mean he lacks vision.” – Stevie Wonder
- “Keep your face to the Sunshine and you will not see the Shadows.” – Helen Keller
- “I am different but not less.” – Temple Grandin
Whether it’s the 12 days of Christmas, the 8 days and nights of Hanukkah or simply the holiday season in your home, we hope these inspirational quotes will mean as much to you as they have to us. It is our most fervent wish this gift can provide some small peace of mind that we’re all in this together and none of us is truly alone. We’d like to leave you with one bonus quote:
“When you have a disability, knowing that you are not defined by it is the sweetest feeling.” – Anne Wafula Strike