Rolling Without Limits

Your mobility may be limited. Your voice, boundless.

Get a Medicare Approved Wheelchair
Facebook Tweet Google+ Pinterest Email More Sharing Options

Get a Medicare Approved Wheelchair

Do you have a family member who needs a battery-operated scooter or wheelchair but can’t pay for it? Well here’s good news. You can get one that is Medicare approved.

Medicare is a national government-sponsored program that guarantees access to health insurance for US citizens aged 65 and older as well as people with disabilities. The benefits of this social insurance program have 4 parts:

Part 1: Hospital Insurance – this part covers inpatient hospital stays, along with the food and laboratory tests.

Part 2: Medical Insurance – this part of Medicare guarantees help in paying for some products and services not covered by part 1. This begins once the patient meets his deductible, then Medicare will take care of the 80% of the approved services and products, and the patient will pay the remaining 20%. This part also helps with the DME or the Durable Medical Equipment such as walkers, wheelchairs, canes, and mobility scooters.

Part 3: Medicare Advantage Plans – this part grants beneficiaries to receive the standard benefit package from nearly any medical institution or hospital in the country.

Part 4: Prescription Drug Plans – this part ensures that Medicare is financially responsible of certain prescription drugs.

Getting a Medicare-covered wheelchair is possible, since part 2 of this social insurance program can grant any beneficiary any Durable Medical Equipment. But how does one get a Medicare-approved DME?

Schedule an appointment to your physician. – First thing a beneficiary will do when getting wheelchair covered by Medicare is to have a doctor’s visit and have mobility assessment and evaluation in order to determine the need for a battery-operated wheelchair. In order for one to be eligible, he/she must first meet these 3 important conditions:

  • His health condition creates difficulty in moving around the house even with the assistance of a walker or a cane.
  • His mobility evaluation shows that he has significant issues or problems in performing activities of daily living such as taking a bath, going to the bathroom or getting in or out of the chair or bed.
  • He should still be able to safely operate the power wheelchair, or he has someone who can assist him all the time to safely maneuver the equipment.

Choose a supplier. – When the physician determines the need for a wheelchair, the doctor will give a written order or issue a CMN or Certificate or Medical Necessity. Once the patient receives it, you need to take it to a Medicare approved supplier within 45 days. If one happens to reside in one of Medicare’s competitive bidding locations, you need to get his device from other Medicare approved specific suppliers.

Seek financial assistance if necessary. – As stated in part 2 of Medicare’s benefits, 80% cost of the wheelchair will be covered by the program and the remaining 20% will be paid by the wheelchair user. In any case, if one cannot afford to pay the 20%, he can use his Medicare supplemental policy or if he doesn’t have any, he can get financial assistance through the Medicare Savings Program.

Follow all the necessary steps and in no time, you will receive his Medicare-approved battery-powered wheelchair. With that, you will be delighted to be free from the hassles of physical limitation or mobility impairment.

Leave a Comment

  1. Rolling Without Limits Support
    Rolling Without Limits Support
    Thanks, Day Dreamer!
    Log in to reply.
  2. Scott Daravanis
    Scott Daravanis
    Unfortunately, it is not that easy. There are numerous hoops to jump thru, the type of scooter the man is driving (which is the kind I have) is not the kind Medicare allows, a Medicare authorized doctor has to agree that you cannot move by any other means that the approved style of chair (which means you have to go to an unknown doctor at his/her particular time wherever he/she practices), and since power chairs do not last forever, you have to show extreme degeneration of your condition (to the Medicare doctor) before getting a new one. Unfortunately, it is tremendously easier to just save what money you can and buy the chair or scooter you prefer on your own. I truly wish it was as easy as you describe.
    Log in to reply.
  3. FionaFrederick
    Yes, medical insurance Medicare Part B covers battery-operated vehicles like wheel chairs in the claim. You just have to pay 20% of the Medicare-approved amount. Wheelchairs comes in the category of durable medical equipment whose detail information you can read at http://www.agingcare.com/Articles/What-Questions-to-Ask-About-Durable-Medical-Equipment-and-Medical-Supplies-104574.htm. These equipments are helpful in providing better quality of life to the injured or disabled person. Patient who receives Medicare benefits will get help in paying for certain kind of wheelchairs if prescribed by the doctors.
    Log in to reply.

Top Posts in Products & Equipment

Sign Up to Vote!

10 second sign-up with Facebook or Google

Already a member? Log in to vote.