“There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect.” - Ronald Reagan
Perhaps the biggest factor in determining what makes a company successful is the willingness to help each employee succeed. Bold and progressive initiatives, such as promoting diversity and inclusion, can often propel companies forward. Johnson and Johnson’s vision for promoting diversity and inclusion is to, “be yourself, change the world!” Diverse backgrounds and unique experiences help foster this vision.
The mission of Johnson and Johnson is to apply a culture of diversity and inclusion as a way of running their business. Employees from all backgrounds help ignite the spark of innovation that has made Johnson & Johnson one of the most successful companies in the world.
Johnson & Johnson applies three strategic pillars that mirror the company’s culture.
- “Advance Our Culture of Inclusion and Innovation” Inclusion and diversity work together in this pillar. By creating a culture of inclusivity among people with diverse backgrounds and abilities, we nurture a spirit of camaraderie, and, ultimately, progress for Johnson & Johnson and its employees.
- “Build A Diverse Workforce For The Future” By actively seeking ways to cultivate diversity and inclusion, Johnson & Johnson is best equipped to also understand the needs of its customers through such diverse workforce developments.
- “Enhance Business Results and Reputation” Johnson & Johnson is dedicated to understanding and serving the needs of its customers while moving forward as one of the largest multinational companies.
Johnson & Johnson uses a variety of ERG’s (Employee Resource Groups) that support many specific groups. Some examples of these groups are:
- Alliance For Diverse Abilities: An Employee Resource Group that promotes the values of employees with diverse abilities, their caregivers, as well as advocates for those with diverse abilities.
- Veterans Leadership Council: This Employee Resource Group helps enhance the company’s marketplace among veterans, service members, and their families.
- Hola: Provides opportunities for Hispanic and Latin members, offers leadership to help guide the competitiveness in the marketplace for this specific group.
- ASIA: Comprised of a group of Asian leaders to help increase business growth through innovation, leadership, and community.
- African American Leadership Council: The leadership of this ERG seeks to help make Johnson & Johnson the #1 choice for African-American consumers and employees.
Johnson & Johnson continues to be at the forefront of diversity and inclusion the company has received several awards recognizing the efforts and leadership activities among people from all walks of life. The Fortune 500 company has received a 100% score from the Human Rights Campaign and was named #1 on the DiversityInc. Top 50 companies for Diversity list.
Image credit: Photo by Drew Hays on Unsplash